- Two engine new tuning packages for MY 2019 onwards 2.0-litre Mazda MX-5 ND models – the Super 200 and the Super 220
- Both build upon free revving nature of the new 2.0-litre Skyactiv-G motor, enhancing torque, power and the overall driving experience
- OEM Mazda electronic safety features are retained, plus MOT emissions compliance and standard idle characteristics
- On sale now, with prices starting from £1245.00 excluding VAT for self-install versions
Brackley, Northamptonshire, 13th June 2019
Leading independent Mazda performance specialist BBR is delighted to announce two new engine tuning packages for the latest 2019 184 PS (181 bhp) versions of the ND Mazda MX-5 / Miata sports car. Building on three decades of Mazda tuning experience, BBR’s upgrades are targeted at the MX-5 performance enthusiasts who demand maximum excitement for fast road and track driving, without sacrificing driving manners or reliability.
Months of in-house dyno, road and circuit driving development on the 184 PS version of the Skyactiv-G engine has resulted in the Super 200 / Super 220 upgrades, which are available as drive-in/drive-out conversions, or as self-install packages for both for domestic and export markets.
“This is the first time that over 100 bhp per litre has been achievable from a normally aspirated Mazda MX-5 motor without internal modifications. It’s an amazing accomplishment for a predominately standard engine” says BBR Managing Director Neil Mckay. “And additional development has seen BBR achieve more than 110 bhp per litre with the inclusion of our bespoke performance camshafts, which is astonishing for a road-friendly engine that now also produces over 150 lb.ft from just 3000 rpm,’ Mckay continues. “As Mazda improves the stock Skyactiv-G 2.0-litre petrol engine extracting useful power gains from normally aspirated tuning becomes more of a challenge, but that makes the end results even more rewarding” he comments.
Technical Details – BBR 2019 Mazda MX-5 Super 200 Package
Focusing on breathing improvements on the 2.0-litre Skyactiv-G powerplant, the BBR Super 200 conversion includes:
- BBR 4 into 1 high flow, tuned length stainless steel exhaust manifold
- BBR Cold Air Intake System
- BBR K&N high flow air filter
- BBR Custom StarChip ECU remap – Programming/logging hardware and software included for self-install customers
Post conversion the BBR Super 200 upgraded Mazda MX-5 produces 202 bhp at 7300 rpm (+18 bhp,) allied to 165 lb.ft of torque (+10 lb.ft) at just 3950 rpm, at 900 rpm lower than the stock motor. This makes the 1100 kilo Mazda MX-5 both faster and more user-friendly in all driving situations, with significant extra urge and throttle response making for an unforgettable, exhilarating motoring.
The 2019 Mazda MX-5 Super 200 conversion is available now as a drive-in, drive out conversion – including dyno test validation - at BBR’s Brackley HQ, priced at £1445.00 excluding VAT.
A self-install package for remote fitting and export markets, which includes BBR’s Starchip ECU reprogramming hardware, is available for £1245.00 excluding VAT.
For complete peace of mind BBR offers 12 to 36-month extendable warranty packages for both Super 200 and Super 220 customers.
Technical Details – BBR 2019 Mazda MX-5 Super 220 Package
Enthusiasts seeking the ultimate in normally aspirated tuning on the 2019 Mazda MX-5 can now benefit from the BBR Super 220 conversion, which includes:
- All BBR Super 200 mechanical components
- BBR 2019 spec bespoke high-performance camshafts, valve springs and retainers
The power gains delivered by the Super 220 over BBR’s Super 200 package are particularly strong from 4750 rpm up to 7800 rpm, where the peak figure of 221 bhp is delivered (plus 36 bhp over the standard vehicle), which combines with a superb spread of torque (over 160lb.ft from 3500 rpm all the way to 7500 rpm). Importantly, peak torque is still delivered some 500 rpm lower than the standard vehicle, meaning that that Super 220 conversion delivers sparkling, easy to drive, accessible performance that is unique to BBR.
On sale now, the BBR Super 220 high performance upgrade for the 2019 onwards 2.0-litre Mazda MX-5 is available as a drive-in, drive out conversion – including dyno test validation - at BBR’s Brackley HQ, priced at £2895.00 excluding VAT.
A self-install package for remote fitting and export markets, which includes BBR’s Starchip ECU reprogramming hardware is available for £2235.00 excluding VAT.
BBR Optional Extra Upgrades:-
BBR also offers a range of enticing brake and chassis performance components for the 2019 Mazda MX-5 designed for the enthusiast driver, optional upgrades for the Super 200/220 packages include:-
- BBR 2.5 inch centre exhaust section and choice of rear silencers available for both the Super 200 / Super 220 upgrades which enable additional power gains
- A 4 into 1 high flow, tuned length stainless steel exhaust manifold, incorporating a performance catalytic converter, is also available
TECHNICAL NOTE: BBR’s in-house dyno/power testing is performed using 99 octane gasoline. Using this procedure, the standard 2019 MY 2.0-litre MX-5 recorded a peak output of 185 bhp and all BBR quoted power increases reference this verified baseline output.
PRESS RELEASE ENDS
NOTE TO EDITORS: A Super 220 converted 2019 Mazda MX-5 which incorporates BBR suspension and brake enhancements is available for media demonstration drives - by appointment only.
In Same Category
- Unlock the power! BBR’s unveils 225bhp 2020 specification Super 225 tuning package for 2005-2015 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2.0-litre NC models
- BBR launches Super 200 / Super 220 packages for 2019 184 PS Mazda MX-5 / Miata, with over 220 bhp now available
- The weakest link - New BBR forged components for the SkyActiv 2.0
- BBR 210 bhp turbocharger upgrade now available for 1.5-litre engine MX-5 ND variants
- BBR launches stunning Mazda MX-5 / Miata ND 2.0 Stage 1 turbo upgrade