- New BBR ‘Super 225’ package boosts performance of 2.0-litre Mazda MX-5 / Miata NC models to a stunning 224 bhp (225 PS) coupled to 174 lb.ft of torque
- Over 170 lb.ft of torque available from 4000-6000 rpm which provides scorching performance
- Includes bespoke, exclusive Drive By Wire (DBW) billet 45mm DCOE Independent Throttle Bodies (ITB’s) for optimised induction efficiency
- Staggered tuned length open trumpets to maximise mid-range torque (optional BBR foam air filter available for road use)
- Innovative MAF sensor/plenum less set up using OEM Mazda ECU to retain factory electronic safety features, MOT emissions compliance and standard idle characteristics
- Zero body/chassis modifications required and fully compatible with the OEM strut brace on Sport/Sport-tech models - 100% reversible to standard if required
- Available now, with prices starting from £1795.00 excluding VAT
Brackley, Northamptonshire, 25th June 2020
Renowned for its legendary turbocharger conversions since 1990, UK based Mazda tuner BBR is now pleased to announce an exciting engine tuning upgrade for all 2005 onwards 2.0-litre MX-5 / Miata Mk3 / 3.5 / 3.75 (NC) models, which delivers the ultimate ‘no-compromise’ intake package for hardcore normally-aspirated performance enthusiasts.
Called the ‘Super 225,’ the new upgrade builds upon the success (and much of the mechanical hardware) of BBR’s popular Super 200 conversion for NC models of the Mazda MX-5 / Miata by dramatically improving the engine’s inlet efficiency to deliver a serious hike in power, torque and throttle response. Boasting a gain of 67 bhp and 36 lb.ft of torque, the Super 225 package transforms the NC MX-5 / Miata into a car that can very much punch above its weight whatever the situation, with a stimulating soundtrack to match.
Converting the MX-5 NC’s MZR LF-VE 2.0-litre engine to this level of normally aspirated created several challenges for the BBR technical team. “The main challenge for our development program was optimising the intake side of the engine by switching to bespoke independent throttle bodies (ITB’s,)” says BBR’s Neil McKay, “while retaining the standard Mazda Denso engine management system and under bonnet layout.” Retention of the OEM CANbus networks and vehicle safety protocols is a high priority for BBR, so a switch to dedicated stand-alone engine management was never an option. Similarly, bodywork modifications to provide clearance for engine tuning packages works against BBR’s OEM under bonnet appearance goals, while clever design means that the package is compatible for both LHD and RHD NC models. “Even the OEM front strut brace remains in situ (where fitted,) and the conversion is fully reversible to stock in future should the owner decide to do so,” says McKay.
“To maximise performance the OEM Mazda MAF sensor and plenum chamber are dispensed with for the Super 225 conversion, but the original factory drive by wire throttle configuration is retained and integrated into the BBR independent throttle body set up. Here is where BBR’s close partnership with EcuTek enabled us to develop an ECU calibration to accommodate this new hardware, which entailed a considerable amount of dyno time and road testing to accumulate mileage and refine the end package,” McKay comments.
Mechanically, carefully designed packaging of the 45mm direct to head billet alloy DCOE independent throttle bodies combines with alloy inlet ram pipes which boast dyno tuned lengths and a curved form factor to avoid bodywork alterations, while delivering maximum possible brake horsepower at an engine safe 7500-7800rpm.
The end results are a mighty 224 bhp (225 PS) at 7550 rpm, combined with peak torque of 174 lb.ft at 5950 rpm. Over 170 lb.ft is available from between 4000-6000 rpm, with more than 150 lb.ft on tap from just 3000 rpm all the way up to the 7800 rpm rev limiter - highlighting the user-friendly nature of the conversion that is everyday driveable and ideally suited to town, touring and track days. In-cabin noise is acceptable for regular driving and motorway use, with a distinctive, addictive intake ‘bark’ being produced under wide open throttle acceleration.
Careful development by BBR has ensured that despite the significant performance hike the Super 225 upgrade is fully UK MOT emissions compliant and can run on either 98 or 95 octane fuel, while an optional BBR air filter is advisable for everyday use.
BBR Super 225 Package Technical Details:-
- BBR stainless steel 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
- BBR high performance intake and exhaust camshafts
- BBR 3.5 - inch diameter branded tailpipes with stainless steel clamps
- BBR badges for front wings and boot lid
- Drive by wire controlled direct to head billet 45mm DCOE throttle body assemblies
- Bespoke BBR aluminium ram pipe support/backing plate (carbon-fibre option available)
- Bespoke BBR DBW system – complete OEM ECU integration
- Bespoke BBR air rail for MAP and servo feed
- Alloy inlet ram pipe curved extensions
- CNC machined 20mm alloy inlet ram pipes - black and silver anodised for OEM style discrete appearance
- Optional BBR foam air filter available
Priced at £3495.00 for a DIY package option, or £4295.00 for a drive-in, drive-out installation at BBR’s Brackley HQ, the BBR Super 225 package is on-sale now. Pleasingly, owners of BBR Super 200 converted cars can migrate to this new level of performance for just £2495.00 fitted. Note: Similar levels of performance can be obtained using a 3rd party tubular exhaust manifold if this has already been installed as a legacy upgrade.
The Super 225’s BBR independent drive by wire throttle body package hardware is also available in isolation for any Mazda MX-5 NC engine, priced from just £1795.00 with optional BBR foam air filter at £65.00 excluding VAT.
Finally, customers seeking even greater normally aspirated performance from the MX-5 / Miata NC motor please contact BBR for details of its ‘Maxi’ high compression forged engine builds of up to 2.5-litres.
NOTES: BBR is offering a 10% discount on any ITB DIY purchases placed before 31 July 2020. ITB packages are under development for earlier and later MX-5 / Miata models – more details to follow soon.
NOTE: All quoted prices exclude VAT.
CONTACT: BBR GTi Tel: + 44 (0)1280 700700 www.bbrgti.com
PRESS RELEASE ENDS
NOTE TO EDITORS: BBR is pleased to offer a Super 225 equipped Mazda MX-5 NC for editorial test drives by appointment. Please contact Neil McKay at BBR on 01280 700700 to make your reservation.
In Same Category
- Unlock the power! BBR’s unveils 225bhp 2020 specification Super 225 tuning package for 2005-2015 Mazda MX-5 / Miata 2.0-litre NC models
- BBR launches Super 200 / Super 220 packages for 2019 184 PS Mazda MX-5 / Miata, with over 220 bhp now available
- The weakest link - New BBR forged components for the SkyActiv 2.0
- BBR 210 bhp turbocharger upgrade now available for 1.5-litre engine MX-5 ND variants
- BBR launches stunning Mazda MX-5 / Miata ND 2.0 Stage 1 turbo upgrade