- BBR Launches Two Stages of Supercharger package for Mazda MX-5 ND models built from 2015-2019
- Over 220 bhp available from Stage One, while over 240 bhp available with Stage Two package
- Drive in – drive out and DIY upgrades now on sale, priced from £3895.00
- The BBR Stage One/Two Supercharger conversions carry a 12-month warranty
- For additional information please visit mx5supercharger.co.uk
October 18th 2022
The autumn temperatures may be starting to cool, but renowned Mazda tuning specialist BBR is heating things up again for MX-5 owners. That’s because BBR is delighted to launch two all-new supercharger tuning packages for the 2.0-litre Mazda MX-5 ND models (MY2015-2019,) with up to 250 bhp available.
Using the proven and reliable Rotrex supercharger unit, both BBR’s Stage 1 and Stage 2 packages have been designed to install without intrusive mechanical alterations onto the 1998cc SkyActiv-G engine and the under bonnet appearance remains OEM-like and discrete.
Despite the subtle visuals the BBR supercharger packages’ gains are significant – aside from the 225bhp peak power figure, the Stage One upgrade offers a highly useable 200 lb.ft plus of torque between 3750 rpm and 5750 rpm, making it highly responsive and ideal for fast road use for the performance orientated driver.
Initial performance testing with the Stage One supercharger upgrade indicates a 0-60 mph time shaved from a factory 7.3 seconds to a supercar rivalling 5.3 seconds, enabling the BBR Stage One equipped Mazda MX-5 to scalp for more expensive machinery via its impressive power to weight ratio of 217 bhp per ton.
Stage Two concentrates on improving flow, not boost pressure. Utilising BBR’s fully TIG welded stainless steel 2.5 inch bore high flow exhaust enables further power to be released without additional stress on the SkyActiv-G engine. In addition, an optional Forge Motorsport intercooler upgrade is available to ensure that the inlet charge temperatures remain optimal even in the most demanding conditions. This releases up to 250 bhp at peak, allied to 220lb.ft of torque, resulting in a 0-60 mph sprint in just 5.1 seconds.
BBR has extensive experience of enhancing the Mazda MX-5 since the late 1980’s and called upon its considerable in-house engineering expertise to develop a forced induction package for the SkyActiv-G engine, a process that began back in 2015 with early development conducted on a Mazda 3 test vehicle.
Throughout development BBR’s technical team has paid significant attention to both supercharger oil and intake temperature cooling, ensuring that the complete packages deliver full performance as consistently as possible, irrespective of road conditions and ambient temperatures.
“BBR has undertaken many, many months of both in-house dyno and road validation during the development of both the Stage One and Stage Two packages for the ND model of the MX-5,” comments BBR’s Neil Mckay. “This has resulted in a pair of supercharger upgrades that are feature rich with BBR specific components, each designed to enhance performance while retaining ultimate reliability,” he continues. “Opting for the Rotrex supercharger enables BBR’s most straightforward forced induction install to date, meaning that it is well within the capabilities of most DIY mechanics and easy for any professional,” concludes Mckay.
- C30-94 Rotrex Supercharger
- Rotrex Oil reservoir
- BBR Oil Cooler
- BBR High Quality Anodised CNC Rotrex brackets
- BBR High Quailty Anodised CNC Tensioner brackets
- BBR spec revised ancillary belt and tensioner
- BBR 250BHP intake restrictor
- BBR high flow K&N Typhoon induction kit
- BBR Front mounted intercooler
- BBR branded Intercooler silicone hoses
- BBR billet aluminium black anodised MAF mount
- BBR / Bosch MAP / Temperature sensor
- BBR Recirculating piston type dump valve in factory black finish
- BBR lightweight aluminium battery tray in factory black finish inc battery stay & connection extension
- BBR Starchip EcuTek calibration software
- Optional hardware only and BBR Software/EcuTek programming cable choices for DIY clients
- BBR 4-1 Stainless steel exhaust manifold
- BBR high flow 2.5″ Stainless Steel centre section including sports catalyst
- BBR high flow 2.5″ Stainless Steel Grand Tourer rear silencer – Super Sport option available
- Optional track spec Forge Motorsport intercooler – an increased core size with higher efficiency keeping inlet temperatures to a minimum under the most testing conditions.
Pricing and Availability:
The BBR Stage One supercharger conversion is available now for all 2.0-litre 2015-2019 MX-5 (ND) models at a cost of £4795* on a fully fitted ‘drive-in, drive-out’ basis from BBR’s Brackley facility. The DIY version, intended for export purposes and competent mechanics, is also available as hardware only for £3895, including comprehensive instructions and technical support, or including BBR software with either EcuTek ProEcu or ECU Connect programming cables stating at £4490.
Stage Two starts at £6495* on a fully fitted ‘drive-in, drive-out’ basis from BBR. The DIY version, intended for export and competent mechanics, is also available as hardware only £5395, including comprehensive instructions and technical support, or including BBR software with either EcuTek ProEcu or ECU Connect programming cables stating at £5990.
Both BBR supercharger conversion packages carry a 12-month warranty.
*Standard vehicles will require an EcuTek tuning licence
NOTE: All quoted prices exclude VAT. 2019 onwards 184PS ND model currently under development.
CONTACT: BBR GTi Tel: + 44 (0)1280 700700 www.bbrgti.com
PRESS RELEASE ENDS
NOTE TO EDITORS: BBR is pleased to offer a Stage Two Supercharged Mazda MX-5 ND for editorial test drives by appointment. Please contact Neil McKay at BBR on 01280 700700 to make your reservation.