BBR is delighted to announce some exciting new additions to its successful range of BBR-Cosworth supercharger conversions that offer even more performance options for discerning MX-5 owners. Over the last twelve months BBR has continued to develop its potent supercharger package further, with the twin goals of extracting additional engine power from the iconic sportscar and expanding the fitment possibilities to include all of the 2005 onwards 124 bhp 1.8i and 158 bhp 2.0i Mk3 / 3.5 models. The fruits of this process are now ready to be released, because BBR can now offer two distinct stages of supercharger upgrades with power outputs up to a sensational 258 bhp.
BBR utilises extensively modified Cosworth developed hardware as the basis for the conversions and this in turn, has required a lengthy development process to accommodate the detail differences between the different Mk3 / 3.5 variants. In addition BBR has a revised the crucial engine management side of the MX-5 Mk3 / 3.5 conversion, replacing the ‘piggy back’ Interceptor unit with a Starchip developed remap that optimises the Mazda’s OEM ECU to the engine parameters required for forced induction. This offers a second advantage because customers electing to purchase DIY fitment versions of the BBR-Cosworth conversion can be supplied with a PROECU software/hardware bundle for DIY OBDII port ECU programming and data logging to allow remote installation of the kit for export markets. Full details on the new BBR-Cosworth upgrades are as follows:-
i) BBR-Cosworth Stage One Mk3 / Mk 3.5 1.8 SE and 2.0i MX-5 Supercharger Conversion Specification
- Cosworth designed Inlet manifold housing and hardware extensively modified by BBR for optimum efficiency and reliability.
- Eaton 4th generation MP62 Supercharger
- Intercooler (Air to water)
- High flow calibrated injectors
- High flow replacement air box
- Competition high-grade hoses and fixings throughout
- BBR StarChip ECU remap (DIY conversions supplied with ProECu hardware for installation
- BBR Cosworth identification badges
- BBR hardware and full DIY instructions
BBR-Cosworth Stage One 1.8 SE / 2.0i MX-5 Supercharger Conversion engine performance:-
- Mazda MX-5 2.0i MK3 235 BHP / 190 Ib.ft (+77 bhp / +51 lb.ft compared to standard output)
- Mazda MX-5 2.0i MK3.5 241*BHP / 190 Ib.ft (+83 bhp / +51 lb.ft compared to standard output)
- Mazda MX-5 1.8SE MK3 / MK3.5 217 BHP / 176 Ib.ft (+93 bhp) / +53 lb.ft compared to standard output) (*The superior peak power on the 2.0i Mk3.5 MX-5 is due to the higher rev limit on this model.)
As these dyno proven performance figures prove, the BBR-Cosworth supercharger upgrade substantially increases the 1.8SE and 2.0i’s MX-5’s power and torque – even the smaller capacity model produces a stunning 217 bhp, a mighty 93 bhp more than the base model.
But the peak figures are only half the story of the upgrade, because the BBR-Cosworth supercharger produces performance gains throughout the entire rev range, in a user-friendly smooth, quiet, OEM manner. The huge hike in mid-range torque, instant response from the supercharger and progressive power delivery mean that a BBR-Cosworth supercharged MX-5 1.8SE or 2.0i offers matchless in-gear acceleration and driveability in a way that simply cannot be replicated with normally aspirated conversions using high-lift camshafts and individual throttle bodies.
The BBR-Cosworth Stage One supercharger conversion for Mk3 / Mk3.5 MX-5 models is on sale now, priced at £4995.00 excluding VAT, installed at BBR’s Brackley premises on a ‘drive in – drive out’ basis. The DIY fitment option for export customers is priced at £4295.00 excluding VAT.
ii) BBR-Cosworth Stage Two Mk3 / 3.5 1.8 SE and 2.0i MX-5 Supercharger Conversion Specification
Because performance enthusiasts are always seeking the ultimate upgrade, BBR is happy to oblige with a new BBR-Cosworth Stage Two MX-5 Supercharger conversion. With stunning peak figures of up to 258 bhp and 206 lb.ft of torque, even sharper throttle response and a subtle yet, sporting soundtrack, the BBR-Cosworth Stage Two Supercharger conversion offers near supercar levels of performance and driveability for both the 1.8i and 2.0i variants of the Mk3 / 3.5 models. Ideal for fast road or track day use, this package includes all of the ‘Stage One’ upgrades, but adds key dyno proven BBR components to improve exhaust and intake flow to maximise performance:-
- BBR stainless steel 4 into 1 exhaust manifold
- BBR 2.5 “stainless steel exhaust centre section with metallic sports cat and centre silencer
- BBR stainless steel rear silencer with adjustable 3.5” BBR branded tailpipes
- High flow BBR performance air filter
- BBR StarChip ECU remapping to suit Stage Two mechanical specification
The end result is a top quality BBR branded exhaust that manages to produce a pleasant note that’s subtle, sporting and allows MX-5 owners to tackle long distance motorway driving in confidence. Clever design of the 3.5 inch diameter tailpipes means that they are adjustable to accommodate different bumper options or aftermarket bodykits on both Mk3 / Mk3.5 models.
BBR-Cosworth Stage Two 1.8 SE / 2.0i MX-5 Supercharger Conversion engine performance
- Mazda MX-5 2.0i MK3 252 BHP / 208 Ib.ft (+94 bhp / +69 lb.ft compared to standard output)
- Mazda MX-5 2.0i MK3.5 258*BHP / 208 Ib.ft (+100 bhp / +69 lb.ft compared to standard output)
- Mazda MX-5 1.8SE MK3 / MK3.5 231 BHP / 190 Ib.ft (+107 bhp) / +67 lb.ft compared to standard output) *The superior peak power on the 2.0i Mk3.5 MX-5 is due to the higher rev limit on this model.
BBR’s extensive controlled conditions dyno testing proves that the BBR-Cosworth Stage Two upgrade substantially increases power and torque in comparison to the Stage One upgrade. For example, the smaller capacity 1.8i MX-5 produces an amazing 107 bhp gain at 7000 rpm, raising peak power to 231 bhp – approaching double the factory quoted power output of 124 bhp!
The BBR-Cosworth Stage Two supercharger conversion for Mk3 / Mk3.5 MX-5 models is on sale now, priced at £6395.00 excluding VAT, installed at BBR’s Brackley premises on a drive in – drive out basis. The DIY fitment option for export customers is priced at £5455.00 excluding VAT.
Notes to Editors: Please see attached dyno graphs for Stage one and Stage Two BBR-Cosworth conversions for 1.8i models. A 1.8i Mk 3 Mazda MX-5 with the 231 bhp Stage 2 conversion (in addition to further BBR tuned example Mazdas) is available for media testing by appointment only for members of the press.
In Same Category
- BBR launches Super 200 / Super 220 packages for 2019 184 PS Mazda MX-5 / Miata, with over 220 bhp now available
- The weakest link - New BBR forged components for the SkyActiv 2.0
- BBR 210 bhp turbocharger upgrade now available for 1.5-litre engine MX-5 ND variants
- BBR launches stunning Mazda MX-5 / Miata ND 2.0 Stage 1 turbo upgrade
- BBR is proud to offer it’s bespoke SkyActiv Camshafts as a standalone product!
Related by Tags
- BBR launches stunning Mazda MX-5 / Miata ND 2.0 Stage 1 turbo upgrade
- BBR unveils Super 175 normally aspirated tuning package for 2005-2015 Mazda MX-5 1.8 NC models
- BBR Unveils tuning packages for latest Mazda MX-5 2.0-litre models!
- The very first UK modified MX-5 ND race car, tuned by BBR!
- BBR unveils engine and chassis tuning program for 1.5 and 2.0-litre MX-5/Miata ND
- Last blast! BBR launches ‘Super 225’ package for 2005-2014 Mazda MX-5 NC 2.0i
- BBR ‘Super 200’ upgrade unveiled for 2.0-litre MX-5
- Stunning BBR MX-5 turbo packages for NC models
- BBR MX5 GT270 – New Car Package
- BBR launches DIY MX-5 NC ‘Super 175’ upgrade
- Mk3 / 3.5 Mazda MX-5 supercharger conversions launched – up to 258 bhp available!
- BBR announces ‘Super 180’ upgrade for Mazda MX-5 2.0i models
- BBR Mazda MPS 2.3 turbo DSI conversions – Press Release
- BBR Mazda MX-5 Turbo Anniversary Edition – Press Release